Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Journal Entry #2 (Smith, 47-78)

Within this specific selection from James K. A. Smith's How (Not) To Be Secular, he continues to analyze the evolution of religion over an extended period of time. Through the process of immanentization, in which meaning lies within an enclosed and self-sufficient society without reference to transcendence, humanity has shifted its focus from religion to reason. Originally, intellectual elites, leaders and scholars sought out to explain the ultimate plan for humanity (in which our success isn't accessible in our material world); however, through the work of Adam Smith and John Lock, among others, the notion of human flourishing was developed (in which our success is accessible in our material world). As a result of the multitude of options which exist for us to express our faith, our own system of beliefs, personal convictions and values are called into question. Countless citizens are caught inside of a web of cross pressures, which impedes their ability to come to terms with their individual identity (in regards to religious affiliation). As a devout Catholic, sometimes I find it fairly difficult to deal with the problems plaguing mainstream society. While I am inclined to act in a certain way, the Catholic Church is comprised of a set of standards, which are to be adhered to at all times. Moreover, I must admit the relative difficultly in growing in my faith because of the cross pressures that affect my existence on a daily basis; however, this doesn't deter me from passionately pursuing the truth (which I firmly believe I've found through Catholicism). Although I fell away from my faith in high school to focus on other activities (academics, athletics, etc.), I deeply desired to come back to it. Recently, I became a part of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults at Thomas More College. By participating in this process, I intend to increase my level of faith and involvement in the Catholic Church. I may be deeply influenced by the process of fragilization, but I couldn't be more confident in pursuing objective truth within Catholicism.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is good that you did end up coming back to continue your faith in the Catholic church. Many times people fall away from their faith because it isn't something that is tangible to them and find it hard to come back to. Just like you said with school and athletics it can be hard to fit in something such as proficiently practicing your faith. I do have to confess myself that I have fallen away from my practices since being in college. It was just so routine in high school to go every Sunday with my family, but now with the freedom to do whatever and whenever I find it difficult to make sure I am going to church. I think I too am experiencing fragilization with my faith, not some much in the sense that I am beginning to question it. Its more along the lines of just not practicing as frequently. I still call myself a Catholic and hope that I too can get back on the path as you did.

    ReplyDelete